This particular bible verse caught my eye today and I thought of sharing:
"So I tell you, every sin and blasphemy can be forgiven--except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which will never be forgiven."
Matthew 12:31, Mark 3:28-29, Luke 12:10
So what is actually blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? In Catholic teaching there are six sins that blaspheme against the Holy Spirit. They are:
- Despair (believing that one's evil is beyond God's forgiveness);
- Presumption (glory without merit, that is, hope of salvation without keeping the Commandments, or expectation of pardon for sin without repentance)
- Envying the goodness of another (sadness or repining at another's growth in virtue and perfection);
- Obstinacy in sin (willful persisting in wickedness, and running on from sin to sin, after sufficient instructions and admonition);
- Final impenitence (to die without either confession or contrition for our sins);
- Impugning the known truth (to argue against known points of faith, and this includes misrepresenting parts or all of the Christian faith to make it seem undesirable)
Going through the list, it sounds like those sins a person does not have any insight they are committing.